“Be still when you have nothing to say; when genuine passion moves you, say what you've got to say, and say it hot.”

Monday, August 20, 2007

Back To School



Today, in South Florida, was a day to remember. The first day of school. You know the day when you would have butterflies in your stomach and you would be so exhausted because you had been up all night because of that blasted naked in the hallway dreams. My son started first grade today. It is hard to imagine that he is almost seven years old and already in "big boy" school. I am concerned though, as I am sure most parents are today. I am concerned whether he is ready for first grade or not. And here is why:




Last year my son had a marvelous teacher. Really she was one of those one of a kind teachers. Those teachers that make you want to go to school every day. A unique blend of angel and inventor. She had a true gift for her career. She had a deeply beautiful understanding of how children work. It gave my son and his fellow classmates a great start in their educational life. Her class was as close as I have ever seen a classroom before. She was honest and sweet and became the matriarch of our little "family". Our children are now split amoung the first grade classes but that hasn't stopped us from remaining friends. Our children have become truly OUR children. I watch out for their children and they watch out for mine. These kids became more like siblings than classmates. They were a well oiled machine with Mrs. Baker at the helm. With all this greatness you would wonder why I am concerned.


I am not sure if my son was properly prepared for "real" school. Mrs. Baker made everyday fun and adventurous...will my son be just as inclined to learn while sitting in a desk? They were spoiled and pampered beyond belief...how will they all feel with a teacher that doesn't revolve her world around them? How will they react when they have to actually raise their hand to leave their desk or write their name correctly every time? How will they feel when there are no laughing little frogs filling the room and they are expected to behave correctly? Will he get bored? Will he act up? I am not that sure.



I am not the only one that has voiced these opinions. It is a deepening concern. I suppose only time will tell. And when it is all said and done one thing will be for certain...he will be a smarter child for it!

1 comment:

Kathy said...

Hi, I enjoyed reading your blog. I am sure that your son will do just fine in school. Kids have a way of going so far beyond our expectations. And I am sure that your church family was so glad to have you back! Please visit mine at www.kathysklavier.blogspot.com


FOR ALL PARENTS

Please visit CHILDREN EMPOWERED for VITAL information that could save your child's life!!