“Be still when you have nothing to say; when genuine passion moves you, say what you've got to say, and say it hot.”

Wednesday, August 15, 2007

The Final Inspection



“The Final Inspection”

Author Unknown

The policeman stood and faced his God, which must always come to pass.

He hoped his shoes were shining just as brightly as his brass.

“Step forward now, policeman. How shall I deal with you?

Have you always turned the other cheek? To my church have you been true?”

The policeman squared his shoulders and said, “No Lord. I guess I ain’t.

Because those who carry badges can’t always be a saint.

I’ve had to work most Sundays, and at times my talk was rough…

and sometimes I’ve been violent because the streets are awful tough.

But I never took a penny that wasn’t mine to keep…

though I worked a lot of overtime when the bills got just too steep.

And I never passed a cry for help, though at times I shook with fear.

And sometimes, God forgive me, I’ve wept unmanly tears.

I know I don’t deserve a place among the people here.

They never wanted me around except to calm their fear.

If you’ve a place for me here, Lord, it needn’t be so grand.

I never expected or had too much. But if you don’t…I’ll understand.”

There was silence all around the throne where the saints had often trod,

as the policeman waited quietly for the judgement of his God.

“Step forward now, policeman. You’ve borne your burdens well.

Come walk a beat on heaven’s streets. You’ve done your time in hell.”


Today, in the town of Brandon Florida, a veteran police officer, father, and husband gave his life in the line of duty. Here is the story:

BRANDON (Bay News 9) -- A Hillsborough County Sheriff's deputy was shot and killed early Wednesday morning in Brandon.
According to authorities, Sergeant Ron Harrison was shot around 1:30 a.m. shortly after conducting a DUI checkpoint.
Officials said a man suspected in the shooting was shot and killed a short time later by SWAT team members after he barricaded himself in a home.
The shooting happened on Lumsden Road near Kings Avenue as 55-year-old Harrison was wrapping up a DUI checkpoint. Officials said a driver in the area reported hearing shots around this same time.
Authorities said Harrison was in his cruiser when he was shot and activated his lights and siren and tried to drive off. However, he lost control of his cruiser, struck another vehicle and then crashed into a tree. Officials said Harrison died before reaching Brandon Hospital.
Investigators are trying to determine if Harrison was ambushed or if the suspect was in the car with him at the time of the shooting.
A short time later, a woman called authorities saying her boyfriend may have been involved in a shooting with a deputy and was at a home near Village Court.
A SWAT team then converged on that home and negotiations began with the suspect.
Hillsborough County Sheriff David Gee said the suspect was barricaded in the home and numerous attempts to get him out failed.
Gee said the suspect fired multiple shots at the SWAT team with a large caliber weapon, prompting them to shoot and kill him.
Sheriff deputies search the shooting location for evidence Wednesday morning."I authorized deadly force be used," Gee said. "He was shot and killed by SWAT officers at the scene."
Gee said none of the SWAT team members were injured.
Gee did not give specifics regarding either shooting as both deaths are still being investigated.
Harrison was a fixture on the agency's DUI task force team, overseeing a group of 12 deputies and one corporal.
Harrison, a father of four, is the first Hillsborough County Sheriff's deputy killed since 1981. Friday would have marked 21 years on the job for Harrison


I will say it again, as I always do, I don't know what kind of world we are living. What kind of world can justify this? I don't understand. I have to go through this intersection to go to work in the morning and this morning we were all rerouted. As I am sitting in a line of traffic, nothing to do but sit, I was frustrated and getting a bit testy. I thought of the reason I was stuck in traffic and felt a sudden chill. How dare I be angry today? I have no reason. My family is safe, we are all together, and I am healthy as can be. How dare I get frustrated at this situation? While I slept in my bed comforted and warm this officer was losing his life. How dare I think that I have any right to get mad at little bit of a delay!

Please pray for this family. Please pray for all involved. Please Please Please think before you act. Watch out for one another and love thy neighbor. When you get pulled over thank the officer, I did this once and he said a quiet thank you (I still got the ticket!), thank them for keeping you safe. And before you lay your head down at night thank God that there are men and women out there willing to risk their lives so you are safe!


2 comments:

Steven said...

May the lord Jesus Christ comfort the family of the slain officer.May God bless you and this fabulous Blog!!!

Steven

is it possible to know your name?

Angela said...

Sure, I sent you an email! Thank you for your kind words!


FOR ALL PARENTS

Please visit CHILDREN EMPOWERED for VITAL information that could save your child's life!!