“Be still when you have nothing to say; when genuine passion moves you, say what you've got to say, and say it hot.”

Friday, August 17, 2007

A Realization


lab·y·rinth (lăb'ə-rĭnth') n.
An intricate structure of interconnecting passages through which it is difficult to find one's way; a maze.
Labyrinth Greek Mythology. The maze in which the Minotaur was confined.
Something highly intricate or convoluted in character, composition, or construction: a labyrinth of rules and regulations.
I have loved the movie Labyrinth since I first saw it when I was eight years old. I remember what a great adventure I thought it was and felt a certain connection to the main character (one reason being her resentment to her little brother since I too had recently been exposed to this most annoying family issue). I used to play Labyrinth for hours when I was a child, my little brother often playing Hoggle! If anyone knows this movie you understand what I mean. It is one of the greatest films of my childhood, coming second only to the Wizard of Oz.


And so it came to pass that I grew up and eventually stepped out of my fantasy world and embraced the harsh realities of life. Now, I have to say that that sounds worse than it is. If anyone has read my entries from the beginning you will find that I am very "magically" minded person. I believe in magic in those things we cannot see or touch but that are there none the less. I believe that the world is not black and white, what we know to be reality and the "other", it is all kinds of shades and each unknown becomes reality eventually. Think of the magic and wonder of having a child. Not only is it a miracle that children are even born, when you consider the odds it faces throughout gestation, but magic of that first giggle. The touch of soft baby skin, the smell of a baby, and the magic of watching your child grow. Not to mention the magic that they let you rediscover through them. It's a simple magic, that I will admit, but it can be so powerful!



So, finally, my son was old enough to watch the movie. He like me is now completely taken with this film. He has decided to build a labyrinth in his bedroom and has been heard humming the songs while he works diligently at his task. And I have been given the opportunity to relive my childhood and also find the interesting points the movie has to offer for adults.



Much like watching Wizard Of Oz again, you can see the deeper meaning in the movie. Labyrinth is metaphorically a very intricate movie. First you have the trials of life, twisting and turning at every step, much like the labyrinth. And much like Sarah in the movie it is hard to tell who is there to help you and who is there to trip you up. Now most of us in our lifetime will not have an evil Goblin King steal a baby from us or meet goblins, biting fairies, or even talking worms. But we will sometimes go down a path that will lead us so far away from our destination we are going to be desperately clinging to the hope that we will make it in time, since our days our numbered much like Sarah's time in the labyrinth. The part that I love and always have since I was a child is the ending when Sarah says the phrase "You have no power over me." I used to love it as a child because everything breaks apart and it looks so amazing, but as an adult I have a whole new love for this scene. "You have no power over me" how many of us would love to utter that phrase some times? How many of us feel that we are being controlled by another person? Spouse? Boss? Teacher? Even the inner demons of our own souls. These can all control us and take us off our path to accomplish our ultimate goal. These things lead you to believe they have a control and power over you, when in fact the only power they hold is the power you give them. Funny how that works. We are free creatures, able to choose the destiny we desire and yet we are so eager to throw our freedoms to the wind and allow others to control our every move. Sometimes, they do not control our every move but instead they control our minds or hearts or worse yet our basic inevitable rights.

I say all this to come to one point. Be brave, dear readers, be brave in your daily struggles. Walk the labyrinth of life with your head held high. Walk along the paths of unknowing, free from the constraints of others controls. Shed your puppeteer's strings and walk the path of self discovery. And when you feel the world has beaten you, you cannot take one more step, utter the phrase "You have no power over me" with conviction and you will understand the strengths you have within!

1 comment:

Steven said...

Hi Bella,you're writing skills need to be in a book!!Love The Labryinth
ooops!!I think I spelled it wrong!!oh well!!Please keep on writing!!!


Steven


FOR ALL PARENTS

Please visit CHILDREN EMPOWERED for VITAL information that could save your child's life!!